Monday, August 17, 2009

Trying to Engage the Troops

All the books say that you should make sure to involve your kids in the planning process for any lengthy trips such as the one we are about to do. What the books don't say is how to get them to show any interest at all. I've tried asking what they think will be interesting or surprising, what they're looking forward to or not sure about. I've tried spreading the maps across the living room, and leaving heaps of guide books on the sofa. I've tried saying things like "Gosh, there looks like there might be a good beach here, or do you think we should try to get to there for the lunch stop?" But all to no avail. Little Starlet gives a theatrical sigh and says she really doesn't mind what we do. Deep Thought takes a quick look before going back to her book or whatever is clearly more interesting than interacting with her mother.

Perhaps they'll want to engage more when we are actually on the road, or is that just wishful thinking?

Worryingly, the thing that has fascinated them most so far is choosing a portable DVD player and five brand new DVDs to take on the journey. Not quite what I had in mind.

1 comment:

OEM said...

I was the child whose head did not emerge from the book for the entire duration of any holiday/outing. I try to remember that when being driven to distraction by Beloved Offspring doing the same/equivalent thing.

Partly, I think, it is about control - they know that, whatever the 'inclusive' planning, actually they are going where Mom says and when. But you can't make me like it...